EXPERIENCE & EXPERTISE
Prior to moving to Australia some 10 years ago, Shok Kuan ran a successful boutique law firm in Kuala Lumpur. She continues to act for clients in Malaysia, China, Taiwan, Singapore, Hong Kong and Indonesia. She also continues to work with numerous financial institutions, developers and property agencies in Malaysia, in addition to an enviable range of Australian based developers and financiers.
Shok Kuan acts for many Asian-based clients, particularly Malaysian and Chinese developers and investors seeking to invest in Australia. She has been involved in numerous large scale off-the-plan projects acting for these developers. Shok Kuan has also acted for various developers in relation to the acquisition of project sites and due diligence of site acquisitions. Additionally Shok Kuan works with a significant number of foreign purchasers who are referred through strong recommendations by leading developers in Melbourne.
In the recent years, Shok Kuan has advised some foreign private funders and investors in relation to financing transactions and equity participation in property developments. Shok Kuan works in collaboration with tax consultants and foreign legal practitioners to achieve more holistic and efficient structures for these clients.
With over 20 years of experience as a practising lawyer in Malaysia, Shok Kuan brings the insights of her experience in both Malaysian and Australian jurisdictions to the many developer clients and purchasers she advises today.
Acted for developers in purchase transactions and due diligence in relation to the acquisition of land with potential developments and permits such as:
- A Malaysian publicly listed company in the acquisition of a significant development project in south east Melbourne
- A government linked company in Guangzhou in the acquisition of development land in various Melbourne suburbs
- Acted for a Victorian developer in the acquisition of a commercial building with multiple tenancies and development potential in Southbank
- Advised purchasers on exemptions from stamp duty and land tax surcharges imposed on foreign purchasers
- Advised the funder of a distressed company in relation to restructuring and recapitalisation of the company.
While a Partner in a Malaysian law firm:
- Appointed to legal panels of many local and foreign banks such as Standard Chartered Bank, United Overseas Bank, OCBC Bank, HSBC Bank, Hong Leong Bank and Public Bank
- Acted for various publicly listed companies in Malaysia in connection with group restructuring, business joint ventures and other commercial and property-related transactions
- Worked in conjunction with tax consultants to advise various groups of companies in corporate restructuring, with a focus on asset protection.