EXPERIENCE & EXPERTISE
Ben has managed national legal teams in the private and public sectors and has expertise in:
- Advising corporate and non-corporate government entities on a range of administrative law matters, and merits review, judicial review and appeal proceedings
- Commonwealth legislative and administrative compensation schemes, including licensing arrangements under the Comcare scheme
- Claims under the Comcare, Seacare, military compensation, veterans’ entitlements, superannuation, ex gratia and administrative schemes
- Catastrophic injury and death claims arising out of civilian employment or defence service
- Asbestos-related disease claims involving the Commonwealth
- Compliance and enforcement under the national workplace relations framework
- Commonwealth work health and safety (WHS) schemes and model WHS laws adopted in most jurisdictions.
In his various roles, he has worked closely with private and government employers, insurers, claims mangers, regulators, policy-makers and legislators.
He has run, defended and advised in relation to compensation claims in most Australian jurisdictions, the Administrative Appeals Tribunal, Federal Court and High Court.
Ben has advised private and government clients in relation to a number significant matters arising under the Safety, Rehabilitation and Compensation Act 1988, the Seafarers Rehabilitation and Compensation Act 1992, the Veterans’ Entitlements Act 1986 and the Military Rehabilitation and Compensation Act 2004.
He also assisted in the establishment of the Safety, Rehabilitation and Compensation (Defence-related Claims) Act 1988, among other Commonwealth compensation schemes.
Publication and Papers
Ben authored the ACT Legal Handbook chapter on ACT Government and Commonwealth Workers Compensation (Comcare Scheme). The ACT Legal Handbook is the product of a partnership between Legal Aid ACT and the Australasian Legal Information Institute.
Ben is invited to give regular guest lectures on Administrative Law at the University of Technology, Sydney.