EXPERIENCE & EXPERTISE
Phillip acts on behalf of local and international listed and private developers, contractors, consultants, subcontractors, and suppliers.
He places a particular emphasis on risk minimisation and management, both during the negotiation of commercial agreements, as well as during the life cycle of a project.
Phillip has a deep knowledge of the commercial interests of his clients, allowing him to achieve the best outcome for his clients through practical solutions. He is regularly approached by major industry participants to advise on the management of project risks.
Phillip has extensive experience in the drafting, negotiation and finalisation of construction and related commercial agreements for local and international developers, contractors, consultants, subcontractors, and suppliers. He places a particular emphasis on risk minimisation and management.
His projects span a diverse range of industry areas including energy and renewables, mixed use (residential / commercial / retail) precincts and towers, retail, hotel and hospitality, public infrastructure, sports facilities and centres for culture and the arts. These projects are located throughout Australia, and the South Pacific.
Phillip is also highly experienced in advising on management of claims for a wide range of industry participants. He is actively engaged during the life cycle of large scale projects and advises on risk management and claims.
Phillip has also advised on some of Australia’s highest value single-dwelling residential projects. In the area of building and construction disputes, Phillip has acted on behalf of large Australian and international construction firms, principals, owners, subcontractors, consultants and suppliers. He is actively involved in ongoing advice during the life cycle of a project, with a keen focus on assisting his client with dispute minimisation and avoidance.
Phillip maintains a busy practice in security of payment matters across Australia, and is called upon to represent his client’s interests in disputed and litigated matters.
Some of Phillip’s major matters include:
- Advised Far East Consortium on the West Side Place precinct, Victoria’s largest residential development, with four towers joined by interconnected podium levels in Melbourne’s CBD, with a construction cost in excess of $1.4bn
- Advised Walker Corporation on certain towers in Collins Square, one of the largest commercial developments in Australia and the largest in the Melbourne central business district comprising over 260,000 square metres of commercial and retail floorspace
- Advised Akuo Energy on various aspects of its involvement in the largest battery energy storage system project in the South Pacific
- Advised Biosar Australia Pty Ltd and its parent company Ellaktor Group on ongoing project matters relating to eight solar farm projects across Australia with a total project value in excess of $1bn
- Advised the Kooyong Lawn Tennis Club, one of Australia’s most prestigious sporting facilities on its recent redevelopment.
Phillip was listed in the Legal 500 Asia Pacific as a “Rising Star” in the area of Construction for 2021. The publication described Phillip as someone who “inspires confidence through clear, direct advice, exceptional legal knowledge and a very engaging character”.
He was identified in the 2020 edition of the Legal 500 Asia Pacific as a “Key Lawyer” in the area of Construction.
Phillip has provided comment on the operation of, and developments in, construction law across various industry publications.