Our highly proficient lawyers are leaders in industrial relations and employment law. Our clients include government authorities and agencies and statutory corporations along with major employers in the private sector.
EXPERIENCE & EXPERTISE
We routinely provide advice and representation on a range of matters, with our expertise extending to:
- Advising on and preparing workplace agreements, employment contracts, contractor and consultancy agreements, labour-hire service agreements and enterprise agreements
- Advising on recruitment, engagement and merit appointment and promotion processes
- Termination of employment including common law breach of contract, trade practices, unfair dismissal (State and Federal), summary dismissal, unlawful terminations and adverse action / general protections claims
- Managing industrial disputes and developing strategic responses to industrial action pursuant to the Fair Work Act 2009 (Cth)
- Fair Work Ombudsman investigations and civil remedy proceedings
- Disciplinary actions and workplace investigations
- Human resource policies and procedure
- Confidentiality and post-employment restraints of trade
- Industrial disputes, right of entry and dealing with unions
- Transfer of business and employment aspects of mergers and acquisitions and business restructuring
- Redundancy, re-deployment and termination.
STANDOUT SERVICE & RESULTS
We focus on delivering timely, practical and cost-effective advice and legal services for routine matters through to extremely complex situations.
Our proficiency and experience in the area of Industrial Relations & Employment is supported by our experience in managing the sensitive matters that often arise in this area. We also aim to be at the forefront of developments and provide clients with value-added services such as workplace training.
Some of our recent matters include:
- Securing court orders (including in the High Court of Australia) for a modular building business restraining a former manufacturing manager from competing against our client after his employment ended
- Acting for an emergency health service in an unfair dismissal claim involving complex factual materials and enterprise agreement entitlements, where the applicant was a long-term employee seeking reinstatement following dismissal for serious misconduct
- Assisting national and local employers in managing long-term injured workers including correspondence with medical professionals, medical assessments, determining return to work strategies and implementing dismissal procedures where appropriate
- Enforcing restraints of trade in the Supreme Court of NSW, preventing disclosure of confidential information and of unfair access to competitors of our client’s customers
- Successfully defending a claim by a dismissed CEO of a major industry association for breach of contract and associated entitlements
- Defending an insured employer against allegations of misuse of public monies raised by a former employee, with claims brought against the employer in relation to his employment
- Defending a significant underpayment claim involving interpretation and construction of enterprise agreement terms with significant potential impact for Victoria’s public health sector
- Advising employers across numerous industries on transfer of business rules under the Fair Work Act 2009 (Cth), including obligations to transferring employees and the negotiation of employee-related terms and conditions in business sale / purchase agreements
Successful defence of a doctor in a Victorian Supreme Court injunction in respect to enforcement of a restraint in a written contract that our client alleged contained a forged version of his signature
Are you looking for market-leading legal experience and expertise?
Email our team direct at email@example.com or click below.
MEET THE TEAM