EXPERIENCE & EXPERTISE
Bill appears in matters at all levels of the Court system across Australia, including before the High Court, the Federal Court and, in particular, the Supreme Courts of NSW, Victoria and South Australia. That wealth of experience benefits Bill’s clients, who value for his ability to achieve favourable outcomes quickly and efficiently, his professionalism, and his strategic and engaging approach.
Within Moray & Agnew’s commercial disputes practice, Bill advocates for clients in the areas of competition and consumer law, insurance, administrative law and regulatory matters, insolvency, financial services and corporations law matters.
Bill’s disputes experience is complemented by the provision of front-end advice in relation to competition law issues, consumer law matters including advertising, terms & conditions and consumer guarantees, as well as privacy, technology and cyber-security.
Clients and members of the legal profession also value Bill for his commitment to education and delivering seminars in his areas of specialisation, including ethics. Bill also teaches advocacy to law graduates, and enjoys mentoring lawyers.
Bill's accomplishments include:
- Acting for TOMRA Systems ASA, Norway in respect of its role as shareholder of the Network Operator of the NSW Container Deposit Scheme and the roll out and use of reverse vending machines under the Scheme, including in relation to competition and consumer law issues, regulatory/ administrative law issues, technology and privacy/ security issues
- Acting for a national business in major complex litigation, involving allegations of fraud, breach of fiduciary duties, negligence, and breach of contract against company officers
- Acting for a business in the FMCG sector, successfully preventing a competitor from engaging in conduct involving allegations of passing off/ misleading or deceptive conduct in relation to the client’s packaging
- Acting for Bendigo and Adelaide Bank at trial and on appeal and successfully protecting its interests in relation to a failed joint venture
- Advising Yellow Brick Road in respect of regulatory matters, as well as its ongoing marketing campaigns on television, radio, print and online
- Acting for a national business in complex litigation involving successful complaints made by it against a supplier of technology services
- Implementing and delivering trade practices compliance programmes for numerous businesses, including a large brewer and major supermarket chain
- Acting for Senator Mary Jo Fisher in defending criminal proceedings and resolving costs issues