Gerard specialises in construction and owners corporation law, drawing on his professional background as a qualified mechanical engineer as well as his in-depth understanding of the technical construction aspects of matters he conducts as part of his legal practice. Gerard has litigated hundreds of matters throughout all jurisdictions in Australia.
Gerard regularly manages matters involving:
- Construction law disputes (commercial and residential);
- General contractual disputes;
- Professional indemnity insurance and domestic building insurance;
- Trade practices and product liability;
- Regulatory compliance;
- Corporate insolvency and personal bankruptcy; and
- Owners Corporation disputes.
A large portion of Gerard’s practice comprises defective building matters, including:
- Defending insurers in builders warranty claim disputes
- Defending builders in defective building claims
- Prosecuting defective building claims for owners corporations
- Prosecuting subrogated claims against builders, developers, principal certifiers, building surveyors, engineers and architects
- Drafting substantive and in-depth advices to professional litigants (such as insurer clients) in respect of a range of complicated legal issues arising out of builders warranty insurance and defective building claims
- Presenting to and advising owners corporations on their avenues of recovery for defective building work