EXPERIENCE & EXPERTISE
has acted on insurance matters since being admitted to practice in 1994. He has
extensive experience and expertise in insurance litigation, especially in the
areas of professional indemnity, public liability and product liability
Phil's experience includes:
- Defending complex claims against a broad range of professionals engaged in the construction, financial, health, legal and property sectors
- Representing professionals in investigations, inquiries and disciplinary proceedings brought by professional bodies and regulators
- Advising on the product safety regime under the Australian Consumer Law, including in respect of mandatory reporting obligations and voluntary product recalls
- Defending claims against manufacturers and distributors of various products, with particular emphasis on potential liability under Australian Consumer Law
- Defending personal injury claims, ranging from routine ‘slip and falls’ to claims involving catastrophic injury
- Advising extensively on the operation of contractual indemnity and insurance provisions
- Advising on the proportionate liability regimes under the Competition and Consumer Act 2000 (Cth) and the Civil Liability Act 2002 (WA)
Phil is a strong proponent of alternative dispute resolution. He has well developed negotiation skills, and routinely attends mediation and settlement conferences on behalf of his clients.
Phil is passionate about his work, and seeks to make a positive contribution in his area of practice. He has excellent industry knowledge and is an active member of relevant industry and professional bodies.
Ranked in the peer-reviewed Best Lawyers® in Australia list for:
- Insurance Law since 2018
- Litigation since 2021
- Product Liability Litigation since 2022
- Professional Malpractice Litigation since 2021.
In 2022, was named Best Lawyers® 'Perth Professional Malpractice Litigation Lawyer of the Year’.
In 2023, was named Best Lawyers® 'Perth Product Liability Lawyer of the Year’.
Ranked as a Leading Lawyer – Professional Indemnity in Western Australia by Doyle’s Guide since 2015.