Experience & Expertise
He joined Moray & Agnew’s Sydney CTP team in early 2016, having previously worked for a prominent boutique law firm undertaking insurance and commercial disputes on behalf of public liability insurers.
Julian’s experience includes:
- Advising and acting for insurers in relation to all aspects of CTP claims governed by both the Motor Accidents Compensation Act 1999 (NSW) and Motor Accident Injuries Act 2017 (NSW), including managing litigated and non-litigated disputes
- Providing settlement advice and engaging in dispute resolution processes on behalf of insurers
- Appearing in the Claims Assessment and Resolution Service (now known as the Personal Injury Commission) as well as the District Court and Supreme Court
- Drafting written submissions on behalf of insurers
- Instructing counsel at trials in the District Court, Supreme Court and Court of Appeal
- Providing seminars and other educational material to insurers in relation to the introduction of the Motor Accident Injuries Act 2017 (NSW) and changes to the motor accidents scheme brought about by that Act.
Julian takes a pragmatic approach to management of claims with a focus on early settlement. At the same time, he is cognisant early resolution cannot always be achieved and therefore also prioritises timely and thorough investigation of claims and gathering of evidence.
Julian has achieved a number of excellent results for insurers in relation to a wide variety of CTP claims including, but not limited to, negotiating costs orders in favour of his clients, agreement as to the application of dual insurance in motor accidents occurring in the course of claimants’ employment and resolution of unmeritorious claims brought on behalf of infant claimants on the basis of verdicts for the defendant with no orders as to costs.