EXPERIENCE & EXPERTISE
Under Bill’s leadership as Managing Partner, Moray & Agnew Melbourne has been one of the fastest growing law firms in Melbourne for a number of years. Australasia Business Review noted ‘the achievements of the firm’s Melbourne office under Managing Partner Papastergiadis are a clear standout’.
Bill also heads up the construction practice in Melbourne. He specialises in construction law and construction related disputes. Bill has over 30 years’ experience and is recognised as one of Victoria’s leading lawyers having been ranked by ALB as one of the top 10 lawyers in Australasia. Bill provides specialist services including advice on contract design and drafting to developers, proprietors, building companies, project managers, specialist consultants, and engineering firms. He has also acted for Government clients for the majority of his career, in particular, acting for Victorian Local Councils.
Bill is recognised as one of Victoria’s leading lawyers for domestic and commercial construction advice and disputes. He has been involved in the successful negotiation of numerous multibillion dollar infrastructure and construction projects, including:
- Numerous tower residential developments across Australia including the FEC West Side Project which incorporates involves one of the largest inner city developments with 2600 apartments over 4 towers with an approximate project value of $1 billion
- Advising Walker Corporation on all aspects of the construction of Collins Square, Melbourne – Australia's largest commercial mixed-use development and residential development involving 5 towers ($2.5 billion)
- The construction of some of the largest hotel projects (valued in excess of $1 billion) in both Perth and Melbourne including the Ritz Carlton Hotel in Melbourne (85 storeys)
- Road and Infrastructure agreements for greenfield site in Bundoora (University Hill) ($1 billion)
- Advising Australia’s largest renewable energy contractor, negotiating all agreements in this field nationwide (approximately $700 million).
Bill’s expertise is not just in multimillion dollar projects; he also works closely with a multitude of developers, builders, consultants and subcontractors on matters ranging from the ‘garden variety’ through to landmark projects. He acts for some of Australia’s largest home builders, including Simonds and Metricon.
In dispute resolution, Bill has acted in domestic and commercial building disputes in all courts and arbitration in Victoria and New South Wales.
He has been involved in the successful resolution of numerous multimillion dollar construction industry and engineering disputes in connection with projects such as the Victorian Desalination Plant, Alice Springs Hospital, Docklands Stadium and a 70 storey residential development on Bourke Street, Melbourne.
Bill is also an accredited adjudicator under the Building and Construction Security of Payment Act 2002 (Vic).
Additionally, for over 27 years, Bill has acted for almost all Victorian municipal authorities and other government authorities continuously, including the Victorian Managed Insurance Authority. His team is appointed to the Municipal Association of Victoria’s state-wide legal panel to support, advise and represent all 79 of Victoria’s local government authorities in major projects and construction law.
Bill’s unique skill set in both front-end and back-end issues makes him an invaluable adviser to his many clients.
The 2020 edition of renowned legal directory The Legal 500 notes his construction team as ‘responsive, pragmatic, commercial’ with ‘true expertise’ and offering ‘technical expertise balanced with pragmatic commercial drafting and solutions’, and also specifically commented that Bill ‘demonstrates a proven track record in representing Government clients’.
Bill has been consistently ranked in Australasia’s top 40 lawyers since 2007, and in 2012, was ranked in Australasia’s top 10 lawyers.
Ranked in the peer-reviewed Best Lawyers® in Australia list for Insurance Law 2024
Seminars / Conferences
Bill has presented a number of papers at recent conferences including:
- Presenter for Leo Cussen – ‘How To Manage The 'Virtual' Client And The Risks Of E-Communication With Client's, Opponents and Colleagues’ – March 2018
- Presenter for the Health Tourism Conference in Greece – 23 & 24 June 2018
- Presenter for Personal Injury & Disability Management Conference in Adelaide – 17 & 18 October 2018
- Presenter for Leo Cussen – ‘Drafting Contracts in Light of Opal Tower and Other Recent Developments’ – March 2019
- Presenter for Crown Leadership International Group: Liabilities, Indemnities, Warranties and Insurance – June 2019
- Transport and Logistics Seminar re ‘Unravelling Construction Contracts’ – Legalwise seminar – 2019
- Presenter at the Delphi Economic Forum V – 5 – 8 March 2020, Athens Greece
Awards / Accolades
Ranked in the peer-reviewed Best Lawyers® in Australia list for Insurance 2024
In his work outside of his legal career, Bill has devoted much of the last 20 years to community and sporting associations.
GREEK COMMUNITY OF MELBOURNE
Bill has been the President of the Greek Community of Melbourne & Victoria since January 2008, arguably the largest Greek Community outside Greece.
ORDER OF AUSTRALIA MEDAL
In 2019, Bill was awarded the Order of Australia Medal for service to the Greek Community.
SOUTH MELBOURNE FOOTBALL CLUB
In the sporting arena, Bill is the Chairman of the South Melbourne Football Club, which was awarded by FIFA as the Oceania Club of the Century, alongside Real Madrid which was awarded European Club of the Century. Bill negotiated with the Victorian Government the Lakeside Stadium deal for the Club. The value of the stadium exceeds $150 million.
THE HELLENIC INITIATIVE
Bill is also a Director of The Hellenic Initiative, and has been so since its inception in Australia – facilitating the generosity of the Greek diaspora in Australia to support initiatives that enhance the lives of the people of Greece.
ETHNIC COMMUNITIES’ COUNCIL OF VICTORIA
Ambassador for the Ethnic Communities’ Council of Victoria “All One Together” Anti-racism campaign (March 2021)