EXPERIENCE & EXPERTISE
Daniel acts for a large telecommunications company in relation to the majority of its property damage recovery claims Australia-wide. This involves bringing recovery actions across various different jurisdictions Australia-wide.
Daniel regularly acts for a number of Australian and international insurers in relation to both domestic and international marine insurance recovery claims. As the president of the Melbourne Marine Insurance Forum in Victoria he is across all of the changes in the industry as they happen and regularly advises on both domestic and international law in the marine insurance sphere.
Daniel has been involved in a number of high profile personal injury claims, including acting on behalf of a prominent Melbourne Boys School in relation to a personal injury brought by a student who suffered catastrophic injuries during school sport, defending one of Victoria’s public transport providers in relation to a person injury claim brought against a number of Authorised Officers and acting on behalf of a number of transport and labour hire companies in defence of claims.
Daniel also acts for insurers in defence of property damage claims, particularly in relation to damage to heavy vehicles and underground assets.
Daniel is known for his detailed knowledge of his practice areas, his close working relationships with his clients, his practical commercial advice and his work ethic.
He enjoys a hands on role in all of his matters including involvement in all stages of the matter from receiving initial instructions through to judgment/resolution.
- Successfully resolved more than 100 property damage recovery claims for a major Australian telecommunications company with the quantum of these claims varying from approximately $10,000.00 to more than $500,000.00
- Acted for a major Australian telecommunications company in a property recovery claim arising out of water damage to the company’s flagship store caused by burst water pipes
- Successfully resolved a marine recovery claim, in which 96% of the original claim amount was recovered – this claim involved damage to dairy goods during land transport across Victoria
- Acted for subrogated insurer in a successful recovery for cost of damage to a power generator during shipment from Australia to a Pacific island
- Acted for a subrogated insurer in a recovery claim against a land transport company, which had lost goods during transport; this matter was settled at mediation in favour of Daniel’s client
- Acted for an international insurer in the successful recovery of costs for damage to face masks and shields damaged during air carriage from China to Australia.
- Acted for an international insurer in the successful recovery of damages for spoilage of almond shell during shipment from Australia to India
- Acted for subrogated insurer in a personal injury claim brought by an individual involved in a boating accident whereby the individual suffered long lasting physical and economic effects – the matter was successfully resolved at mediation on terms favourable to the insurer.
- Acted for a prominent private boys school in the defence of a personal injury claim arising out of a student suffering catastrophic injuries during training for school sport
- Acted for a ski management company in the defence of person injury claims including one arising from parents suffering psychological injuries as a result of their son falling off a roof at the resort and dying and may other claims arising from injuries sustained while people are participating in activities at the resort.
- Successfully defended a major public transport company, four of its employees and its insurer against a personal injury claim brought by an individual in the County Court of Victoria
- Acted for trustees of a group of former employees of a major rubber manufacturer in successful Supreme Court of Victoria multimillion dollar recovery proceedings against an international insurer where the trustees were seeking to recover employee entitlement benefits allegedly insured under the company’s insurance policy prior to the company entering voluntary administration
Daniel contributed to the Chambers & Partners ‘Insurance and Reinsurance' Global Practice Guide in 2021 and 2022.