Our Commonwealth Compensation lawyers are nationally recognised leaders with decades of experience in dealing with Commonwealth statutory schemes.
We advise and represent Comcare, other Australian government entities, self-insured licensees and claims managers in all areas covered by the Safety, Rehabilitation and Compensation Act 1988 (Cth), as well as similar seafarers legislation. We also act for the Department of Veterans’ Affairs in the military compensation and veterans’ entitlements statutory schemes.
EXPERIENCE & EXPERTISE
Our experience and expertise extend to all aspects of Commonwealth Compensation claims management, including:
- Investigation, assessment and determination of liability
- Reconsideration of determinations and review of decisions
- Recovery of compensation.
We have special expertise in the application of the rehabilitation provisions of the Safety, Rehabilitation and Compensation Act 1988 (Cth) and advising on the benefits of early intervention and return to work.
We offer a well-developed in-house advocacy capability and have acted in hundreds of Administrative Appeals Tribunal cases (under various statutory schemes), Federal Court appeals and High Court test cases involving various significant issues. These include matters involving:
- Notices of injury and formulation of claims
- Concepts of ‘injury’ and ‘disease’ (as defined terms), and statutory exclusions
- Meaning of ‘employee’, ‘employment’ and ‘place of work’ (as defined terms)
- Liabilities for various injuries and diseases
- Assessment and calculation of normal weekly earnings and permanent impairment
- Rehabilitation requirements
- Use of video evidence
- Procedural fairness issues.
STANDOUT SERVICE & RESULTS
We provide an exceptional service while minimising costs for our clients. We focus on providing a highly responsive service – our lawyers can provide ad hoc urgent advice or be there as a ‘sounding board’ to discuss issues informally with clients.
As experts in this jurisdiction, we add real value by regularly delivering legal seminars and issuing updates on issues in workplace law. We also actively support and promote the Comcare Scheme by attending industry forums and initiating discussions regarding relevant issues within the jurisdiction.
Are you looking for market-leading legal experience and expertise?
Email our team direct at email@example.com or click below.
MEET THE TEAM