EXPERIENCE & EXPERTISE
Jeremy acts for professionals in disciplinary actions and in relation to examinations by regulators (such as, ASIC) and liquidators.
He also has a significant practice advising underwriters in relation to complex coverage disputes regarding Financial Institutions and Director and Officer policies.
Prior to joining Moray & Agnew, Jeremy spent several years working in the London insurance market and maintains strong connections with his London market network.
Jeremy also has a close interest in the progression of the industry and seeks to contribute to the development of industry members through his participation on the Victorian committee of the Australian Professional Indemnity Group.
Jeremy is an accomplished insurance lawyer and commercial litigator with more than 20 years’ experience in managing professional indemnity claims, with expert knowledge of the financial and construction sectors.
He has particular expertise in handling claims against financial professionals including trustees, auditors, accountants, financial planners and executives and directors involved in the financial services sector.
He frequently acts for other insured professionals, including, architects, accountants, real estate agents, property managers, engineers, valuers, insurance brokers, allied health care providers. He regularly represents professionals in disciplinary actions.
Jeremy also has extensive experience in acting for directors and professionals in relation to ASIC and liquidators' examinations.
He provides coverage advice to local and international insurers on contentious indemnity issues.
Jeremy’s recent experience includes matters such as:
- Defending complex claims against a broad range of professionals engaged in the construction, financial, health and legal sectors
- Representing professionals and company directors in investigations and inquiries by professional bodies, regulators and IBAC
- Acting for the auditor of a debenture issuer which collapsed owing investors $600 million. The proceedings included a class action by investors, a Federal Court claim by liquidators and ASIC disciplinary proceedings.
- Acting for excess layer insurers of trustees of a debenture issuer in relation to a $100 million class action by investors
- Acting for underwriters in a $50 million class action against the issuer of warranty products
- Acting for auditors of a financial institution in relation to $25 million claim by creditors following its collapse
- Acting for accountants in a $12 million claim arising from restructuring advice that triggered significant tax liabilities. The defence involved complex issues of causation and loss which resulted in settlement at a significant discount.
- Advising underwriters in relation to a company director accused on insider trading by ASIC
- Acting for insurers and professionals in relation to numerous fraud and embezzlement cases
- Acting in relation to several portfolios of multiple claims arising from systemic failures by financial planners requiring extensive strategic litigation and settlement advice
- Coverage advice to underwriters in relation to class action against a grain aggregator including issues of aggregation and cover for arbitration
- Acting for an architect in relation to an intellectual property claim arising from the alleged misuse of a rivals design for the development of a shopping centre
- Acting for underwriters in relation to a policy dispute with liquidators of an engineering firm relating to the failure of a large piece of sewage infrastructure
- Acting for an engineer in relation to a claim following a dam failure including complex issues of quantum
- Acting for a head building contractor in a multi-million dollar, multi-party claim arising from collapse of a shopping centre wall
- Acting in a multi-million dollar claim against a real estate valuer in relation to a valuation for a substantial retirement village development
- Acting for numerous real estate agents in relation to misleading and deceptive conduct and breach of mandate claims
- Acting for real estate agents in numerous personal injury claims suffered by tenants of properties managed by the agents.
Ranked as a Recommended Lawyer – Professional Indemnity (Defendant) in Victoria by Doyle’s Guide since 2019.
Known for its ‘cost-effective and accurate technical advice and responsiveness’, Moray & Agnew’s sizeable team ‘provides a broad geographical spread of expert personnel across all Australian jurisdictions’ …
Other key contacts include the ‘extremely knowledgeable and commercially astute’ Jeremy Peck.