EXPERIENCE & EXPERTISE
Joshua has significant experience acting on behalf of global, national and state-based employers across a diverse range of industries and has achieved favourable outcomes for clients at WorkCover proceedings, including successfully opposing Applications for weekly payments and statutory allowances.
He has represented clients in matters such as:
- Sensitive and highly politicised workers’ compensation claims made by Chief Executive Officers and Working Directors
- Jurisdictional issues arising from work injuries sustained outside of Western Australia
- Claims under the Fatal Accidents Act 1959 (WA) involving multiple parties (including mine site owners and occupiers)
- Claims involving motor vehicle accidents and recovery actions against third parties
- Complex and inter-related psychiatric injury claims
- Claims involving complex and latent physical conditions and life-threatening infectious diseases.
Joshua is particularly skilled in addressing disputes concerning workers’ entitlements under the Workers’ Compensation & Injury Management Act 1981 (WA) and has advised extensively on this issue. He also advises on contractual and indemnity issues including principals’ indemnity extensions.
Joshua acted as Junior Counsel for a global pipeline operator and services provider and reached a favourable commercial settlement in a multi-million dollar District Court action commenced by a worker who was injured as a result of an explosion on Barrow Island.
In addition, Joshua successfully defended an Application by a leading waste equipment manufacturer for disclosure of privileged investigation documents. Importantly, the decision provided further clarification as to the law relating to legal professional privilege.