EXPERIENCE & EXPERTISE
Zoe joined the Moray & Agnew Sydney CTP team in March 2015, having previously worked for a large international insurer managing CTP claims. She is experienced in acting on behalf of insurers managing both litigated and non-litigated disputes under both the Motor Accidents Compensation Act 1999 (NSW) and the Motor Accident Injuries Act 2017 (NSW). She has an eye for detail and provides detailed, practical and pragmatic advice with respect to all aspects of CTP claims with a focus on achieving a timely and cost-effective resolution or where that is not possible, strategic and practical claims management.
While at Moray & Agnew, Zoe also has experience as part of our General Insurance team where she assisted in defending a wide range of major litigated and complex public liability personal injury claims on behalf of manufacturers, care providers and construction companies. Nearly all of those claims featured issues of indemnity, liability and/or causation that required the provision of succinct and thorough advice addressing the analysis and assessment of complex heads of damages, including the careful selection and use of expert evidence.
Originally from the United Kingdom, Zoe began her legal career in 2005 as a paralegal handling a wide range of plaintiff personal injury claims in South London before moving to a prominent firm in Central London in a similar role. She then moved back to South London where she completed her training contract and then practiced in civil litigation handling a broad and diverse portfolio of litigated civil claims across many areas including personal injury, contractual disputes, building disputes and tortious claims.
Since moving to Australia in 2012, Zoe’s experience working for an insurer has provided her with a valuable insight and understanding of the needs of an insurer client. She is skilled in developing close and supportive client relationships and focuses upon achieving positive outcomes through either formal litigation or alternative dispute resolution. She adopts a positive and practical ‘can-do’ attitude in the conduct of her matters with exceptional attention to detail and a thorough knowledge and understanding of the issues in each claim.
Zoe was heavily involved and instrumental in the successful defence of a significant and complex public liability claim in the Supreme Court on behalf of a respite care provider. In particular, while preparing the matter for trial, her attention to detail and curiosity identified crucial evidence regarding the plaintiff’s living arrangements which was accepted by the Court as evidence he did not intend to reside in Australia and led to the rejection of the significant claim for care (damages having been assessed in the alternative).
Zoe’s experience also includes:
- Appearing in the Supreme and District Courts of NSW in relation to interlocutory matters, Notices of Motion and at Infant Approval Hearings
- Appearing before Assessors in the former Claims Assessment and Resolution Service and SIRA’s Dispute Resolution Service
- Defending litigated CTP claims in the District Court
- Advising upon and managing unlitigated claims through the former Claims Assessment and Resolution Service and SIRA’s Dispute Resolution Service, including drafting detailed submissions addressing all issues of liability and quantum
- Providing advice to CTP insurers with respect to Administrative Review issues in the context of certificates issued under the NSW CTP scheme
- Defence of claims brought against the Nominal Defendant
- Advising upon and managing defended claims for recovery under section 151Z Workers Compensation Act 1987 (NSW)
- Advising upon the effect and application of the Civil Liability Act 2002 (NSW) where relevant to CTP claims
- Managing and advising upon medical assessment issues such as those relating to whole person impairment and minor/non-minor injury.