EXPERIENCE & EXPERTISE
Admitted as a solicitor in 1986, Peter’s experience encompasses litigated matters, often comprising complex and sizeable litigation arising from financial collapses or losses. These matters include acting for insurers and many types of insured professionals such as:
- Financial institutions
- Financial advisers
- Investment advisers
- Other professional involved in a financial loss or crisis.
Peter has experience in policy drafting and interpretation in the professional indemnity and D&O arenas, drawing on vast insurance litigation and dispute resolution experience to minimise risk for insurers and policy holders. He variously acts as coverage and defence counsel as the circumstances demand and depending upon the matter. He also has stand out credentials in the class action space and complex, high-value multi-claimant events.
Peter has provided coverage and defence advice to insurers of different entities involved in the following matters:
- Class action against Centro Group and its directors’ and officers’ for misclassification of debts in its financial statement and associated ASIC action
- Coverage disputes regarding Fortescue Metal Group Limited and Andrew Forrest for misrepresentations and breaches of continuous disclosure
- Coverage / monitoring role on ASIC’s investigation into Leighton Holdings for breaches of continuous disclosure
- Coverage and claims from Allco’s acquisition of Rubicon and subsequent collapse
- Coverage issues in respect of global investment / advisory firm, Babcock & Brown
- Dispute concerning investments by local councils in exotic investments, such as CDOs and similar
- Representing insurers and / or their financial institution insured in multiple actions in federal and state Supreme Courts, including class actions, failed MIS, and insolvency dispute involving Trio Capital, Rewards Group, Storm Financial and many more.
Recognised by various independent global legal guides, including:
- Ranked in the peer-reviewed Best Lawyers® in Australia list each year since 2010 to date. In 2014 and 2019, was named Best Lawyers’ Sydney Insurance Law ‘Lawyer of the Year’
- Ranked as a Market Leader in the list of Leading Professional Indemnity Lawyers (Defendant) – NSW by Doyle's Guide in 2020
- Chambers Asia Pacific – Leading Insurance Lawyer each year since 2018.
The Asia Pacific Legal 500 in its 2012 review describes Peter as: ‘one of the go-to people for financial institutions and D&O work’.
Chambers Global states: ‘Clients hold Peter in high regard for his expertise in policy drafting and interpretation. He has taken part in many complex litigation matters resulting from financial collapses’.
In 2018, Chambers Asia Pacific noted that Peter ‘is a highly experienced and widely respected individual in the market, with expertise in the areas of professional indemnity, financial institutions, D&O liability, public offering securities insurance and management liability. One client remarks: “Peter is our go-to man on any complex professional indemnity and D&O issue, and we consider him the leading practitioner in Australia on these specialities.” Another notes: “He’s been in the business for years and he’s very well-known and very intelligent”.’
Chambers Asia Pacific 2021 – Peter Tredinnick commands respect among interviewees, who variously characterise him as a "rigorous and serious" practitioner and the "brilliant leader of a fantastic team," who not only has one of the "biggest profiles" in the market but who also consistently appears on "the bigger matters." He acts principally in the financial lines sphere, focusing on D&O and management liability and professional indemnity issues.
Chambers Asia Pacific 2020 – Peter Tredinnick commands a high degree of market respect from sources, who variously characterise him as "very good," "very experienced" and “one of the really great practitioners" in the insurance space. He is well known for his handling of complex matters involving financial services institutions, including D&O liability, professional indemnity and issues arising from major financial crises and collapses.
Chambers Asia Pacific 2019 – Peter Tredinnick has a very strong reputation in the insurance market, with an established practice advising insurers and their insureds on financial lines claims. One client highlights his particular areas of expertise, saying: "He's probably best at the tricky D&O and financial institution professional indemnity matters - that's where he really distinguishes himself."
Chambers Asia Pacific 2015 – Peter Tredinnick is described by one client as "an excellent D&O coverage lawyer who has a long-established grasp of the market." He is a strong litigator who also has considerable expertise in policy drafting and interpretation.