EXPERIENCE & EXPERTISE
His extensive experience includes acting for government organisations, large construction companies, financiers, infrastructure project management companies and property developers in projects across the retail, hospitality, alpine, water, gas, viticulture and telecommunications industries.
Michael has advised ALDI supermarkets on the acquisition and development of distribution centres and Woolworths on the development of multi-use centres in metropolitan Melbourne.
Michael was the principal draftsperson of the ski field leases for Falls Creek and Mt Buller. He also previously advised the Victorian Minister for Sustainability and Environment on appointments to alpine boards of management.
Michael’s water industry experience includes developing water supply and transport agreements for rural agribusiness, and iconic water re-use and conservation projects such as the waste water recycling project at Mount Hotham. Finalist: Banksia Awards for water conservation.
- Advising the Department of Education and Early Childhood Development concerning program for disposal of surplus schools (approximate value $2 billion) including the sale and tender of surplus sites
- Advising Woolworths and ALDI on property matters, including development of multi-use centres (retail / residential), obtaining planning permits for retail developments in metropolitan and regional areas in Victoria
- Principal draftsperson of ski field leases for Falls Creek and Mount Buller
- Preparing registration of interest, tender, head lease and management agreements for proposed redevelopment of the iconic Lake Mountain Alpine Resort
- Acting for NextGen in the roll out of an optic fibre cable along Australia’s eastern seaboard, involving use of carrier powers, management of Native Title risks, management of environmental assessments, risks and requirements of planning approvals, and documenting arrangements for NextGen and its contractors to access land and buildings for as part of this project
- Principal advisor to Mount Hotham Management Board for proposed $500 million redevelopment of Hotham Village, comprising realignment of the Great Alpine Road, construction of the iconic Bale development of 432 apartments, a luxury hotel and retail areas
- Acting for Mount Hotham Board in the Private Public Partnership between the Victorian Government and the Ski Lift Company for a waste water recycling project to treat secondary effluent to Class A for reuse to meet 95% of Mount Hotham's snow making requirements; this iconic project was a finalist in the Banksia Awards
- Acting for Abacus Property on due diligence, financing, acquisitions and leasing of the Bacchus Marsh Village Shopping Centre ($32 million)
- Acting for Abacus Property on sale of industrial site in Dandenong ($10 million)
- Acting for Abacus Property on sale of Moorabbin Homemaker Centre ($32 million)
- Acting for CEL Australia in due diligence, acquisition and leasing of 420 St Kilda Road, Melbourne ($43 million)
- Acting for Centennial Property Group in due diligence, acquisition and leasing of industrial purchase of Lorimer Street, Port Melbourne ($26 million)
- Acting for VIP Property in sale of 380 Lonsdale Street, Melbourne ($43 million)
- Acting for Pelligra Property Group in the acquisition and development of:
- The Gateway Synot Street sites at Werribee for hotel, council offices
- The industrial estates at 24 and 65 High Sts Melton
- Leakes Rd Laverton North industrial estate
- Holden Site, Elizabeth Street, South Australia
- Ford Sites in Broadmeadows and Geelong
- Acting for Consortium in purchase and redevelopment of hotel in Powlett St, East Melbourne
- Acting for CEP Energy Pty Ltd in the rollout of solar sites on commercial buildings Victoria and New South Wales.
Awards / Accolades
The 2020 edition of renowned legal directory The Legal 500 notes our Property team as having ‘considerable expertise and knowledge in property/leasing issues and are responsive especially when there are strict time frames’ and ‘The team is extremely knowledgeable, efficient and good value’.
Guest Lecturer at University of Melbourne on the topic of commercial property development in Victoria.