EXPERIENCE & EXPERTISE
Martin has more than 25 years of experience acting for major insurers and a range of employers, advising, defending and resolving claims, many of which have been complex matters.
He regularly acts for Australian and international insurers and self-insured clients in matters involving:
- Workers’ compensation
- Personal injury, including back and neck injuries, breaks, serious spinal injuries and paraplegia and brain injuries
- Psychiatric injury, including stress claims
- Asbestos diseases
- Workplace disputes, including unfair dismissal claims.
- Slip and trips.
Martin is also highly experienced in common law claims and recovery actions involving tort and contract.
In addition, Martin has defended employers against employment liability claims involving allegations of unfair employment practices. This work includes negotiating the settlement of such claims and appearing before the Fair Work Commission on behalf of employers and their insurers.
Martin is well-respected for his knowledge of his area of practice, and has delivered more than 50 seminars for clients and colleagues over the last 25 years.
In the last 25 years, Martin has saved his clients a combined total of more than $5 million in damages and costs.
Martin has conducted a wide and demanding range of matters, covering:
- Advice and representation regarding a complex range of workers’ compensation matters – concerning liability, the review / discontinuance of weekly payments (s60 and s61 of the Workers’ Compensation and Injury Management Act 1981 of Western Australia (WCIM)) and assessment of permanent impairment
- s79 of the WCIM, involving wilful and false representation of personal injuries on pre-employment questionnaires
- Recovery of payments under s93 of the WCIM
- The application and operation of s175 of the WCIM
- Worker’s failure to co-operate with obligations to be rehabilitated
- Common law claims – often involving significant issues of liability and quantum and when there is litigation; the interpretation of insurance contract indemnities; recovery of compensation/damages
- A major quantum case (involving over $3,000,000 in compensation) where complicated legal issues also arose as to jurisdiction.
Ranked in the peer-reviewed Best Lawyers® in Australia list each year from 2019 to date.