EXPERIENCE & EXPERTISE
Lazarus’ focuses on Commonwealth compensation claims under the Comcare scheme, discrimination claims, discipline and productivity in the Australian Public Service, freedom of information and privacy matters, applications under the Administrative Decisions (Judicial Review) Act 1977 (Cth) (ADJR Act) and merits review cases in the Administrative Appeals Tribunal, as well as unfair dismissals, unlawful termination of employment and industrial disputes involving Commonwealth clients.
Examples of Lazarus’ experience include:
- Successfully defended key provisions of the Military Rehabilitation and Compensation Act 2004 (Cth) in the Full Federal Court
- Successfully acted on behalf of a government authority in both the Federal Court and Full Federal Court in a number of landmark Commonwealth compensation cases under the Safety Rehabilitation and Compensation Act 1988 (Cth)
- Advising a government department on its policy for managing positive attendance, including settling the policy document and drafting a protocol of privacy principles to be applied by personnel
- Acting for a government department in a significant unfair dismissal action brought by a Senior Executive Service officer
- Successfully bringing an AD(JR) application in the Full Federal Court on behalf of a government department against a decision of the Human Rights and Equal Opportunity Commission under the Racial Discrimination Act 1975 (Cth)
- Successfully defending a government department in an appeal to the Full Bench of the AIRC brought by a former employee
- Acting on behalf of a government department in an application under the ADJR Act where there had been an allegation by a union official that his rights of freedom of association had been breached by the employing agency
- Conducting many cases in the Australian Human Rights Commission (formerly Human Rights and Equal Opportunity Commission) defending government departments from allegations of racial, sexual and disability discrimination
- Successfully running a number of cases for a government department in the Administrative Appeals Tribunal on the issue of marriage like relationship under the Social Security Act 1991 (Cth)
- Conciliating a number of sexual harassment cases for the Defence Forces
- Conducting an investigation on behalf of a government department into allegations of harassment and bullying by a senior employee of the department.