EXPERIENCE & EXPERTISE
Jonathan joined Moray & Agnew’s Melbourne insurance law team in 2014, working initially as a paralegal then as a member of our graduate-at-law program.
Following his admission to practise in 2017, Jonathan has primarily worked in commercial disputes on behalf of corporate, insurer, government and private clients. He has a broad practice, with particular interest in commercial, property and retail tenancy disputes and insolvency matters.
In addition to his experience within the firm, Jonathan has previously undertaken an internship at the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission, which gave him valuable insights into the needs of government clients. This wider perspective on the expectations of public sector clients has boosted Jonathan’s commitment to best practice service delivery.
Jonathan provides strategic guidance to clients to help them efficiently resolve disputes and continue to focus on business growth. He also provides risk management advice so clients can bolster their internal processes to minimise the risk of potential future litigation.
Jonathan quickly grasps his clients’ needs and commercial goals. His corporate and private clients also benefit from his extensive experience representing ‘seasoned’ litigants (such as insurers and government) and his proficiency at obtaining cost effective and pragmatic resolutions to commercial disputes.
Jonathan’s major matters include
- Advising a corporate client on a contractual dispute involving a $30 million sale of land.
- Acting on behalf of a range of individuals and entities involved in professional indemnity disputes, including real estate agents, accountants and financial advisers.
- Representing a managing agent in an important decision for commercial leases establishing that the proper construction of a rent review clause did not necessarily require the stipulated date for service of a trigger notice to be complied with for a rent review to be effective, see Cooltime Solutions Pty Ltd v Viva Energy Australia Pty Ltd  VCAT 83.
- Acting in a multi-party litigated matter in the County Court of Victoria on behalf of a tile supplier arising from the alleged supply of defective building materials in a 12 storey residential tower in the Melbourne CBD. This matter also involved complex issues concerning expert evidence.
- Representing an experienced medium density residential developer client in a contested hearing in VCAT concerning a contractual and trade practices dispute, see: Brown v KayHill Property Group Pty Ltd (Civil Claims)  VCAT 292.
- Advising insurers on scope of cover issues under professional indemnity insurance policies.
- Representing a real estate agent involved in a significant Consumer Affairs Victoria application before VCAT.
- Advising Victorian Government agencies on resolution of commercial lease disputes.
- Representing real estate agents in disputes arising from the sale of land.
Jonathan was awarded the Monash Community Leaders Scholarship by Monash University in 2015 and 2016. This Scholarship is awarded to candidates who “have impressive academic results, leadership potential and a commitment to helping others.”