EXPERIENCE & EXPERTISE
Jonathan joined Moray & Agnew’s Melbourne team in 2014, working initially as a paralegal then as a member of our graduate-at-law program.
Following his admission to practise in 2017, Jonathan has primarily worked in commercial disputes on behalf of corporate, insurer, government and private clients. He has a broad practice, with particular interest in commercial, property, leasing, insurance and insolvency matters.
In addition to his experience within the firm, Jonathan has previously undertaken an internship at the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission, which gave him valuable insights into the needs of government clients.
Jonathan provides strategic guidance to clients to help them efficiently resolve disputes and continue to focus on business growth. He also provides risk management advice so clients can bolster their internal processes to minimise the risk of potential future litigation.
Jonathan quickly grasps his clients’ needs and commercial goals. His corporate and private clients benefit from his extensive experience representing ‘seasoned’ litigants (such as insurers and government) and his proficiency at obtaining cost effective and pragmatic resolutions to commercial disputes.
Jonathan’s major matters include
- Advised a corporate client on a contractual dispute involving a $30 million sale of land
- Acted for a managing agent in an important decision for commercial leases concerning the proper construction of rent review clauses, Cooltime Solutions Pty Ltd v Viva Energy Australia Pty Ltd  VCAT 83
- Acted for a commercial tenant in a successful statutory claim made under the Building Act 1993 and COVID-19 Omnibus (Emergency Measures) Act followed by a further successful application for costs and interest, Izett St Pty Ltd v Applgold Pty Ltd (Building and Property)  VCAT 536 and Izett St Pty Ltd v Applgold Pty Ltd (No 2) (Building and Property)  VCAT 927
- Acted for a property development consultant in defence of a contractual and trade practices claim, which included a successful application for security for costs in Liu v Resi Ventures Leakes Pty Ltd (No 2)  VSC 638 (proceeding settled prior to trial)
- Acted for a tile supplier in a multi-party litigated matter in the County Court of Victoria arising from the alleged supply of defective building materials in a 12 storey residential tower in the Melbourne CBD
- Appeared as advocate for an experienced medium density residential developer client in a contested hearing in VCAT concerning a contractual and trade practices dispute, Brown v KayHill Property Group Pty Ltd (Civil Claims)  VCAT 292
- Acted for a commercial landlord in defence of a third-party claim and counterclaim relating to repair covenants in the County Court of Victoria, Mahony v Logan  VCC 1586 (third party claim and counterclaim settled prior to trial)
- Acted on behalf of a range of individuals and entities including insurers, real estate agents, accountants, architects and financial advisers across both professional negligence claims and regulatory investigations
- Advising insurers on scope of cover issues under professional indemnity insurance policies
- Advising Victorian Government agencies on resolution of commercial lease disputes.
Jonathan was awarded the Monash Community Leaders Scholarship by Monash University in 2015 and 2016. This Scholarship is awarded to candidates who “have impressive academic results, leadership potential and a commitment to helping others.”