EXPERIENCE & EXPERTISE
John acts on behalf of a broad range of clients from large listed Australian and overseas companies and super funds - including several household names - to local and national privately owned property investors and developers. He has worked on large capital property transactions including the sale and purchase of city buildings, industrial business parks and facilities, shopping centres, hotels and retirement villages. John is also experienced in undertaking site acquisitions and property due diligence investigations on behalf of developers of commercial and industrial properties, retirement villages and residential property developments and subdivisions.
In addition, John has extensive experience advising property managers and investors in relation to their industrial, commercial and retail leasing portfolios across multiple Australian states.
Prior to joining Moray & Agnew, John spent several years as a key member of a leading national property law practice and prior to that, honed his property law skills with boutique Melbourne law firms.
In addition to his extensive private practice experience, John also spent time as the Senior Legal Writer for the property module of LexisNexis Practical Guidance. In this role, John honed his technical property law skills across all Australian jurisdictions and consulted with legal businesses to assist them to service their clients better. John brings those skills and insights to his Moray & Agnew clients.
has been involved in several significant matters including:
- Acted for an iconic listed international hotelier in the $240m acquisition of a 5-star Melbourne hotel, which is situated on a complex Crown land site. This complex transaction involved the assumption of vendor’s rights under a long-term lease from the State and all its management and other rights relating to the hotel and the wider precinct
- Acted for a large Australian superfund in the acquisition of 4 central Melbourne building sites, part of a prospective $1b mixed use ‘supersite’ development
- Acted for a prominent Asia Pacific real estate group in the leasing of its Victorian, Western Australian and New South Wales office, wholesale market and industrial properties, which included freehold assets and complex State owned and head leased portfolios
- Acted for a private property group in numerous major property transactions in Melbourne including the sales of a CBD building for over $45m and an inner-city shopping centre for over $90m
- Acted for a large private property investor and manager in relation to all leasing matters across its portfolio, which included CBD building sites, commercial headquarters premises, restaurants, bars and various other retail assets
- Acted for a New Zealand listed retirement village owner and operator expanding into the Australian market on several development site acquisitions. The matters included comprehensive legal due diligence, the acquisition processes and various development activities later in the lifecycle of the projects
- Acted for a Western Australian property development business in several strategic property acquisitions. These included a pharmaceutical facility in Melbourne, a hotel in Brisbane, an industrial facility in Brisbane and a national logistics portfolio which spanned across 7 states and territories
- Acted for a private property group in a long-term, large scale regional land acquisition and community development project west of Melbourne. This included comprehensive legal due diligence and site acquisition and management matters (primarily of farmland and also sites containing native vegetation)