EXPERIENCE & EXPERTISE
Having previously practised as a Clinical Nurse, Jillian has since maintained her association with the health profession by continuing membership of various professional bodies.
Following admission to practice, Jillian developed broad ranging experience within the insurance, health and medical law industry managing complex civil claims, coronial inquiries, regulatory matters and providing risk management advice.
Since joining Moray & Agnew in 2019, Jillian’s practice has involved the defence of civil claim proceedings against medical and allied health professionals. She has also assisted doctors and other health practitioners in regulatory proceedings involving performance, impairment and registration.
Jillian’s experience enables her to meaningfully confer and empathise with health care professionals. She is able to distil complex and factually challenging information to develop a strategic approach to resolve issues proactively and in a commercially sensitive manner.
Jillian’s experience includes:
- Representing doctors and health care professionals in regulatory proceedings regarding performance, impairment and registration
- Advising doctors and other health practitioners and providing representation in the defence of allegations of professional negligence, including claims pursuant to the Personal Injuries Proceedings Act 2002 (PIPA) and allegations under the Australian Consumer Law
- Representing health clients across the spectrum of clinical specialities including obstetrics and midwifery, neonatal, paediatrics, neurology, orthopaedic, infectious diseases, plastics and reconstruction, general practice and psychiatric claims
- Conducting root cause analysis of critical incidents and providing risk management advice
- Handling a broad range of litigation involving public liability issues including claims for personal injuries, injuries sustained at health professionals’ premises, property damage, inappropriate transport and storage of medications causing spoilage
- Providing advice regarding practice liability issues including claims against practice staff and the practice itself in addition to providing risk management advice
- Managing statutory complaints / notifications to the Office of the Health Ombudsman and the Health Practitioner Regulatory Boards
- Preparing for and appearing at Coronial Inquests.