Experience & Expertise
Jesse has acted for a range of clients in commercial litigation disputes including professional indemnity, debt recovery, commercial leasing, intellectual property, and occupational health & safety.
She has acted for a Federal Government Department in large scale litigation in the Supreme Court of Victoria relating to intellectual property which ran for several years.
Jesse has also assisted in other large scale intellectual property disputes for commercial clients.
Jesse has a long history of acting for the Department of Education & Training (Victoria) in subpoena compliance and objection, and has appeared in all Courts on behalf of the Department of Education in relation to subpoena objections and has a very high success rate in these matters.
Jesse built up a subpoena compliance practice acting for the Department of Education which saw her secure a sole-outsourcing arrangement between Moray & Agnew and the Department of Education for several years, during which she acted for the Department of Education in over 3,000 matters. She has an intimate knowledge of government policy, legislative protections, and redactions related to privacy and data protection as a result of her extensive work in this area.
Jesse is highly skilled and experienced with electronic discovery and document management systems, and has successfully managed large teams of paralegals in undertaking discovery tasks for class actions and other litigations of a similar size.
Prior to admission to practice, Jesse was heavily involved with the Defence Inquiry established to enquire into allegations of physical and sexual abuse in the Australian Defence Force. As part of this work Jesse undertook training at the Attorney General’s Department in Canberra in processing abuse claims and communicating with victims of abuse.
- Jesse was heavily involved and instrumental to a large Supreme Court matter for the Department of Defence that resulted in a favourable outcome for the client. In addition to instructing counsel, interviewing witnesses, and drafting affidavits, she assisted in the running of an electronic discovery management platform, managing a sizeable team of junior staff and working together with ADF employees on site at Victoria Barracks. Jesse has expertise in issues of Public Interest Immunity and issues of national security.
- Appeared in the Federal Circuit Court on behalf of the Department of Education and Training in countless subpoena Objections Hearings, and has a history of successes in these matters
- Appeared in the Magistrates’ Court in relation to WorkSafe matters on behalf of self-insureds
- Assisted with multiple tortious claims against the Department of Immigration, Department of Veterans Affairs, and Australia Post
- Assisted the Department of Education and Training with WorkSafe matters relating to Improvement Notices issued to schools for Occupational Health and Safety breaches
- Presented CPD talks both internally and to industry professionals on the topic of state Freedom of Information laws.