EXPERIENCE & EXPERTISE
We help with the whole range of legal and risk issues faced by owners corporations.
In addition to rules and management agreements, we advise on:
- Defects and flammable cladding disputes
- Lot owner disputes
- Debt recovery – fixed fee and event costing
- Work health and safety & employment issues.
- We have acted in hundreds of defect disputes concerning apartments nationally, involving claims about issues such as: flammable cladding; cracking render and paintwork; fire separation defects; leaking balconies and planter boxes; rusting balustrades; water ingress to car parks and through curtain windows; calcification of swimming pools and tiling, and building works not complying with contracts of sale
- We have strong relationships with numerous building consultants, expert engineers, architects, building surveyors and builders who specialise in the rectification of defective apartment buildings and are experts at co-ordinating works so that disruption to residents is minimised.
We have acted for a number of owners corporations in relation to buildings with flammable cladding and have:
- Responded to council show-cause and rectification notices
- Appealed rectification notices to the Building Appeals Board
- Sued builders for the rectification of unsafe cladding
- Negotiated deeds for builders to respond to show cause notices on behalf of owners corporations.
We are familiar with all relevant legislation and case law concerning defective cladding including: the ‘deemed to satisfy’ provisions and the ‘performance based’ requirements of the relevant codes and standards; the procedures for responding to show-cause and rectification notices; and the authorities which give guidance as to who is liable for defective cladding. The teams’ experience in cladding claims is highlighted by the fact that we have advised government bodies on their responses to the cladding crisis.
Lot Owner Disputes
We are adept at resolving disputes between lot owners and owners corporations and are skilled at advising on:
- Interpretation of Owners Corporation Rules
- Interpretation of strata plans and identification of lot versus common property (boundary disputes)
- Identifying responsibility for maintenance and repair fees
- Noise and nuisance complaints.
Work Health & Safety and Employment Issues
We have extensive experience advising on the WHS, employment and contractor issues associated with this sector, including:
- Engaging and managing caretaker arrangements
- Representation in bullying matters including matters involving tenants and owners corporation staff
- Establishing appropriate WHS frameworks and liaising with WorkSafe in connection with all inspections
- Drafting all forms of employment-related materials.
We recover unpaid fees and levies for a fixed fee or under event-based costing agreements so there are no surprises or hidden extras
- We advise what fees can and can’t be included in Fee Notices and the procedures that must be followed before commencing recovery proceedings in the civil and administrative tribunals of each jurisdiction.
Are you looking for market-leading legal experience and expertise?
Email our team direct at email@example.com or click below.